Sunday, June 04, 2006

Never-Fail Rice

This is the way my mom taught me to cook rice and is the only way I can make rice and not have it boil over and make a mess. Don't ask me why, I have tried every trick and I cannot do it. I hate cleaning up boiled-over rice.

1 part rice (1 cup is enough for four side-dish servings)
2 parts water (add a bit extra for brown and wild)
salt
butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Grease a casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid. Boil the water. Add bouillon powder for extra flavour, or boil some broth. Add rice, salt to taste, a dab of butter and boiling liquid to the casserole dish. Cover and bake. Don't peek!

For white rice--30 to 40 minutes
For brown rice and wild blends--40 to 50 minutes

That is it! Easy and you get a tasty crispy crust around the edges of the pan. The rice simmers and never boils so there is no mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment