Saturday, July 06, 2013

You pin some, you lose some, Part 2

You should make these

This makes a great, light-tasting dessert to serve after a barbeque
Well, after the great birdseed debacle I regrouped and went with what I know:  You don't make friends with birdseed.  These recipes are at the opposite end of the nutrition spectrum as the recipe in my previous post--they even go so far as to call for processed fake ingredients like cake mix and cool-whip.  Of course, that stuff makes my kids make faces like this:
The cinnamon roll square keeps really well in the pan so it makes a nice snack to tuck into a bag for day camp or to go to the beach or on a picnic.  I usually avoid buying mixes in boxes, but I really couldn't come up with a substitute in that recipe.

I made the Eclair Cake for dessert after a barbecue.  Due to the delicate nature of the cream-puff crust and the creamy filling, the cake does not keep as well, but that really isn't a problem as we didn't have any left at all after our dinner!  I did not use instant pudding and Cool-Whip as the recipe calls for.  I made vanilla pudding from scratch and cooled it all the way down in the fridge before mixing in the whipped cream cheese.  I also used real whipped cream for the topping and home made chocolate sauce.  I don't think my filling came out as thick as the filling in the picture due to the fact the custard was only thickened with cornstarch instead of  tetrasodium pyrophosphate, but no one seemed to mind.

Have you had a winning Pin lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment